+

Maharashtra: 93 People Hospitalised After Eating ‘Ambil’, ‘Kheer’ During Temple Feast In Nanded

At least 90 persons were admitted to different hospitals after consuming eatables during a temple feast in Maharashtra's Nanded district, PTI reported on Thursday, citing the police. The suspected incident of food poisoning took place on Wednesday evening at Naigaon, an unidentified police official told the news agency. “A feast was organised and food was […]

At least 90 persons were admitted to different hospitals after consuming eatables during a temple feast in Maharashtra's Nanded district, PTI reported on Thursday, citing the police.

The suspected incident of food poisoning took place on Wednesday evening at Naigaon, an unidentified police official told the news agency.

“A feast was organised and food was served to devotees just outside a Shiva temple. They were given ‘ambil' (porridge) and ‘kheer' (a sweet dish made from milk) to eat,” he mentioned.

But after having ‘ambil', the devotees felt dizzy and started vomiting, he added.

“Initially, some of them were rushed to a hospital. But towards late evening, there were more complaints of food poisoning. Till late night, a total of 90 people were admitted to various hospitals for treatment,” the official told PTI.

The condition of those admitted at the hospital is stable and they are out of danger, the official said.

The police have visited the scene after becoming aware of the event. A formal investigation is underway.

In March, it was reported that 17 individuals from Barola village in Noida and at least 76 college students staying in a dormitory in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh, were admitted to the hospital after consuming food prepared using locally purchased buckwheat flour.

An Aryan Residency administrative official claimed that in honor of Maha Shivratri, the pupils were given “puris” made of buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta).

On condition of anonymity, a hostel official told HT that several students had informed them that they were keeping a fast for Maha Shivratri, after which special food was prepared. “Students became ill later that evening, and we hurried them to adjacent hospitals.”

“The students experienced severe food poisoning and received appropriate medical attention,” stated Sushil Sharma, the general manager of Kailash Hospital.

Tags:

hospitalisedMumbaiTDGIndia Herald